What are the entries to be made in the Official Log Book with regard to seaman & apprentice as required by the Merchant Shipping Act 1958? How & when are the entries to be made? (section 212)
The entries to be made in the official log book with regard to seaman & apprentice are as follows:
- Every conviction by a legal tribunal & the punishment inflicted.
- A record of every offence committed for which it is intended to prosecute or levy a fine along with a statement of the reading out of the entry & the record of the reply.
- A record of every offence for which a punishment is inflicted & the punishment inflicted.
- A report on the quality of work of every seaman, if the master declines to make a comment on the above then a statement to that effect & the reasons thereof.
- A record of every injury or illness & the treatment thereof.
- A record of every death on board & the reason thereof.
- A record of every birth on board. The child’s sex & the names of the parents.
- Every marriage on board is to be recorded along with the names of the parties.
- The name of every seaman or crew who cease to be the member of the crew otherwise than by death with the place, time & reasons thereof. ( eg: Sign-off / evacuation)
- The wages due of any seaman & apprentice who dies on board & the gross amount of deduction therefrom.
- The money & any property of a seaman or apprentice who dies during the voyage.
- Any other matter as prescribed
Other Entries in OLB :-
- Handing over documents on Change of command.
- Taking over & Handover of command
- Inspection of Food, provisions & accommodation
- Port particulars & departure drafts when proceeding to sea.
- LSA FFA Inspection
- Radio Room Batteries
- W/T Doors on Passenger ships.
- Distress received & action.
The entry is to made as soon as possible after the occurrence to which it relates. If it is not made on the same day then the date of occurrence to which it relates & the date of making the entry are to be recorded,if the entry is regarding an occurrence before the vessel’s arrival at her final port of discharge,entry shall be made within
24 after the vessel arrival.
Every entry shall be signed by the master & the mate or some other member of the crew & also by the ship’s medical officer, if it is regarding an injury or death, if it is about the wages due or the property of a seaman or apprentice who dies during the voyage then the entry is to be signed by the master, mate & a member of the crew.