It is better not to remove rust than chipping halfway through
Precautions before chipping
- Has the Pre-meeting or Toolbox meeting carried out?
- Is proper Personal Protective Equipment worn by the seaman?
- Are the instruments, tools, and hoses being used not damaged?
- Do the tools function properly?
- Is the surface washed with fresh water and then sufficiently dried?
- Salt, in particular, contributes to the peeling of paintwork. Once the flaking of paint stats, it is troublesome to restore the situation. It is ideal to wash with fresh water pressurized to 50-100 kg/cm2 if such a facility is furnished onboard.
- Are proper scaffoldings and lighting provided?
Precautions during chipping
- Consideration should be given so that the same person may not use the same instrument for a long time, e.g. one should take different postures by shifting in sequence from one type of job to another e.g. use of an air hammer, sweeping of the place where chipping was carried out and the use of an air sander.
- A sufficient distance from other workers should always be maintained, and no work should be done in the direction where rust particles may fly.
- Never forget lubricating air-driven tools. It advertises itself by heating immediately when it runs short of oil.
- The paper for the disk sander should be replaced after disconnecting the universal coupling as a safety precaution.
- Small rust scale should be removed by using a disc sander or cupped wire brush. The surface must not be damaged by using an air hammer unnecessarily.
Precautions after chipping
- The adjoining area which was sanded with a disc sander should be cleaned thoroughly of iron powder which will adhere to it and turn it to rust red with the lapse of time.
- The steel section damaged by chipping tends to rust very easily, compatible painting should be applied with sufficient coats and thickness.
- Lubricate the working parts by supplying a few drops of oil to pneumatic tools.
*Places where small rust has begun to form because of a thin coat (insufficient thickness), should be re-coated rather than scaling to a film thickness of at least 350 microns.
On Tanker ships, the process of chipping as mentioned in company’s SMS may require a Cold Work and/or a Hot Work Permit.
Personal Protective Equipment
- to cut low and high frequencies of noise
- to cut only high-frequency noise while allowing the low frequency to pass through
Keep things in order
- Put tools in specified places so that they can easily be taken out.
- Protectors and detectors shall be stored so that they can rapidly be used on an emergency.
- Unnecessary facilities shall be removed, unnecessary goods be early disposed of.