Additional Signals for Fishing Vessels Fishing in Close Proximity
The lights mentioned herein shall, if exhibited in pursuance of Rule 26(d), be placed where they can best be seen. They shall be at least 0.9 meters apart but at a lower level than lights prescribed in Rule 26(b)(i) and (c)(i). The lights shall be visible all around the horizon at a distance of at least 1 mile but at a lesser distance than the lights prescribed by these Rules for fishing vessels.
2. Signals for trawlers
(a) Vessels engaged in trawling, whether using demersal or pelagic gear, may exhibit:
- (i) when shooting their nets; two white lights in a vertical line;
- (ii) when hauling their nets; one white light over one red light in a vertical line.
(b) Each vessel engaged in pair trawling may exhibit:
- (i) by night, a searchlight directed forward and in the direction of the other vessel of the pair;
- (ii) when shooting or hauling their nets or when their nets have come fast upon an obstruction, the lights prescribed in Rule 26(a) above.
3. Signals for purse seiners
Vessels engaged in fishing with purse seine gear may exhibit two yellow lights in a vertical line. These lights shall flash alternately every second and with equal light and occultation duration. These lights may be exhibited only when the vessel is hampered by its fishing gear.